Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Addicts

Denny is an oddity. Not in a bad way, though. See, nearly everyone in his family is an addict. Three alcoholics on his dad's side. A sex addict on his mom's. His father-in-law, while not blood related, is another addict in his life; a Webster's-certified workaholic. And every single person in his family smokes. Every. Single. One. All but Denny, that is. Denny doesn't smoke. Oh, he'll puff on the occasional cigar or pipe. But he's never even placed a cigarette between his lips. And he partakes in his fair share of alcohol. Except that he rarely drinks alone. And he spends a fair amount of his time alone. That is, when he's not spending time with his friends. And he's been doing a lot more of that lately. In fact, when he isn't spending time with his friends, he expends a goodly amount of energy thinking about them. He'll call to see what they're up to. He'll text them to let them know he's thinking of them. He's constantly creating new ways for them to interact, whether it's by email, internet or planning events. He's often inspired to buy them gifts. And he feels so safe and secure when he's with them. He'll share all his ideas and plans and worries. He tells them about his Family-O-Addicts and breathes a sigh of relief that he managed to avoid being like them. And his friends sigh in agreement.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sighing, too.
xoxo

Anonymous said...

This is relevant to me. More than I can begin to say. On a different note, I was doing my family medical history tree yesterday and it hit me that I need to start doing a lot of things-- prevention, namely. I feel adult. I don't like this part of "feeling adult"... the cancer prevention sort.

Nick said...

Cancer blows. I've had quite my fill of having to deal with it. Unfortunately, it does bring you into the realm of adulthood. But you can learn a whole lot by dealing with it and one of the best things is to focus on prevention. Because if cancer strikes you, it strikes your entire circle of influence. There is definitely opportunity for good things to sprout out of rotten things in life. I suppose that's why we throw compost onto our gardens...