Wednesday, September 13, 2006

A Real-Life Dillema

As a follow up to the Crocodile Hunter post, I have another interactive post. This time you, the reader, can directly intervene in my life. Sound like fun? Keep reading...

Over the past few months, I've been seriously considering going back to school to get my degree. Obviously, this is not a decision to be made lightly. Particularly, since there are risks involved. Maybe not stingray-barb-through-the-heart kind of risks, but risks nonetheless.

Coincidentally, it sort of comes down to a decision between the relatively comfortable life I've presently carved out for myself or an attempt at following some passion. But, of course, it isn't even quite that easy.

To start, let's go over what I have. I have a good job working with wonderful people in a division that is making lots of money in a company that is the very definition of stable. I have a 401k plan, excellent health insurance and a manageable, though not overwhelming, salary. I have time to sit at my desk and write essays about my favorite sports teams or the choice between wadding and folding or whether I should even continue to sit at this desk. One other benefit that adds a wrinkle to this situation: tuition reimbursement.

Additionally, I also have a parent with health issues that lives 5,000 miles away. And a monthly child support payment to make. And the looming fact that I'll have one child attending college in six years, with another on his heels.

Something else I have is a reasonable amount of free time at home to read, research interesting topics and write. And someone's unsecured wireless network from which to "borrow" broadband internet access.

Now, what don't I have? I don't have a college degree. I don't have a plethora of options in which to advance upwardly in my company, and if I did, I'm not sure if I would even want to. I don't have the occupational flexibility to be able to move somewhere else in the country and be reasonably assured of finding a job. While I like my job, I don't have a passion for doing it.

Additionally, I don't have a car payment. Or a high car insurance payment. Or a cable bill. My electricity bill is low and I don't have to pay for natural gas, water or trash pickup. Not to mention all the other miscellaneous expenses that come with living in a house rather than an apartment. I don't have a car that feeds on gas like Mark Mangino feeds on hoagies; my car will run for two weeks on $25 worth of gasoline. The only debt I have will be completely paid off in about eight months. For the most part, I don't have many expenses. This is advantageous when thinking about living the college life.

Most importantly, I'm not sure I have a real passion. Sure, I really like to write and seem to be moderately skilled. But I don't have the longing to do it as much as I have/had the longing to play baseball for a living. Writing about baseball is fun, but it doesn't hold a candle to actually playing. Of course, playing baseball for a living isn't a realistic plan, but it doesn't diminish the feeling in my gut about wanting to do it. What bothers me is that I don't have that same feeling in my gut about writing. Or anything else, for that matter. But maybe that's just the way it is; you start doing something you like and go from there.

So, what to do from here? Mull over the scenarios.

Do I stay at my low-risk, low-reward job that allows me to write and do other things in my free time as a hobby that may or may not go anywhere OR go to school to acquire skills and a degree that allow me to either move up in my current company or make a living somewhere (almost anywhere) else while writing full-time.

Do I go back to school and, as an additional benefit, give my children a good example to follow OR do I stay where I'm at and continue to lead a content life in which I'm able to give my kids the attention that they need?

If I don't go to school, do I continue to write merely as a hobby and creative outlet OR do I make a concerted effort to try to get something published?

If I do go to school, should I go part-time while keeping my current job and benefits (such as tuition reimbursement) and complete my degree in who-knows-how-long OR should I quit my job and concentrate on school full-time, forsaking health insurance and trips to Hawaii along the way?

I've been praying about this and will continue to do so. What makes it hard is that I feel like I can honor God no matter what decision I make. Maybe that should make it easier. I don't know. Feel free to chime in or spout off. Or feel free to just sit back and think about how this might apply to your life.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chuck Norris' two cents are this: let your company pay for college, take your time.. if it takes you 7 years, it takes you seven years. then at the end of seven years you still have a job that you may like or may not like, and then you have more options. like you said you have a ton of free time at work, you can use this time to work on your school.

Nick said...

Not only can Chuck Norris kick some ass, but he is also very wise. Thank you, Chuck Norris.

Anonymous said...

Here are my thoughts right now. If you were going to get a degree in something specific like Physical Therapy, that would lead you directly to a well-paid position, then I'd say go back to school now, full time. Otherwise, if you really dream of having a degree and are sure it will help you with future job possibilities, then go part-time and have your company pay for it. Or, just take writing classes and follow that route - especially if those could be applied to a future degree. I would not give up the time you have invested in your company thus far, and would not turn down their offer to pay for tuition. And, you are not totally upending your life by quitting your job and living like a poor college student for three years - a change which may sound easier than it might really be. I do think you should work on getting published. That's all I have to report, sir.

Nick said...

All the comments I've received here or elsewhere I will take to heart. The advice and encouragement is much appreciated.

Anonymous said...

School part time. Company pays.

Anonymous said...

You sound almost ideally-positioned to taste-test school, with tuition reimbursement, without diving in over your head, all-the-while maintaining your fall-back status quo at your job. What do you have to lose? You don't have to know what job you want coming out of school to start school. Aren't most steps of faith like that anyway? For direction, I recommend the book "Do What You Are." Also, I think giving your children a good example to follow is a noble motivator. Kudos to you for considering it all out loud.

Nick said...

I'll have to check out that book. I figure thinking out loud garners a lot more usable feedback than the alternative. Thanks for the feedback!

Jeff said...

Nick, I've been away from the royalruminations for a while, but I had a free moment so I thought I'd check in. Nice discussion. We've already talked about this some. I agree with those who've written that I think you are in an ideal position to "test the waters"- flexible job, minimal living expenses, tuition reimbursement. With you're active mind I think that it would be a shame if you didn't at least try a class that you are interested in. I would recommend taking something purely based upon personal interest and not even think of career development at this time. My experience with school is that once you open one academic box, it leads to many other topics that you find interesting. You keep pursuing these new interests, and maybe you stumble on something that you find so intriguing that you want to commit a little more time and effort to studying. Avoid taking one of the "basics" that you would need for a degree program. Those are rarely the classes that people find interesting. If you decide to pursue a degree, then jump through those hoops. For now just flip through a college catalog and just pick the class that sounds the most interesting.

Nick said...

Again, great insight. Thanks, Jeff!