Monday, September 08, 2008

Happyness

I just got done watching The Pursuit of Happyness with Will Smith. After seeing this, I couldn't be more proud of my own children. They haven't had it as rough as the little boy in that movie, but the movie sure reminded me of all the things they've been through in their relatively short lives. And it reminded me that they are truly great people.

They haven't had to sleep in a subway bathroom. They haven't had to wait in line for the chance to sleep in a shelter. Their mother did not leave them and move to the other side of the continent.

But they were each born prematurely, neither weighing more than six pounds. David even spent his opening days in the neonatal intensive care unit to make sure his lungs developed properly.

They have lived in no less than 10 different homes in their 14 and 12 years, respectively. Long-lasting friendships were sacrificed because they moved from school to school to school, six times in all. They have had (and continue) to endure the separation and divorce of their parents. They have had to adjust to being shuffled between their mother's and father's homes for over half their lives.

They survived their parents' simultaneous bouts with clinical depression. They learned how to fix their own cereal and do their own laundry when they were much too young because their father couldn't move himself off the couch. They had to share a room and even a bed for far too long.

Their paternal grandparents moved so far away that they were only able to spend as much as 60 combined days together in 10 years, with a week's worth of those days spent mourning their grandfather. Their paternal uncle has seen them only a little bit more. And their great-aunt moved away, too.

They trailed along behind their father as he worked cleaning office buildings. They trailed along behind their mother as she submitted to receiving her groceries from a food pantry.

Despite all these losses and challenges and hardships, they've managed to persevere and learn and press on.

After touring five different grade schools in six years, Samantha is starting to come into her own in middle school. After coming to know many children in many schools, she came to middle school unknowingly having built up a large network of friends. This has allowed her to feel more comfortable at school than she has felt in years.

David decided to pursue football in his debut semester in high school. And after a rough initiation, he appears to be embracing his new lifestyle. The amount of running, yelling and physical pain far exceeded his expectations at the beginning of the year. And though he wanted to give up, he has managed to hang on.

My kids have built up skills and character traits in their short lives that have taken me twice as long to achieve, if I've managed to achieve them at all. They are kind and compassionate and sensitive. They are funny and intelligent. The are polite and respectful. They are helpful. They are self-confident. They are selfless. And, above all, they are loving.

They are not all these things, all the time. They are not perfect. But they embody all these things at their core. And only by the grace of God are these things possible, because their parents are imperfect teachers.

It's been said that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. We all know that's a load of crap. We've all been witness to people who can't seem to catch a break. We've seen people struggle with just getting through life. There are people who become homeless or sick who never recover, who never get stronger, who are utterly consumed by life.

My kids have been through an awful lot. But they've also been incredibly blessed. And, as a result, I've been blessed. And that brings me immense pride and happyness.

7 comments:

Ron Rollins said...

Give yourself some credit. Your kids are able to do all of that becasue you've been a good parent and taught them the right values.

The main thing is that you've been there.

You haven't ignored them or put them on a back burner while you led your own life.

Nick said...

Thanks, Ron. I realize that their mom and I deserve some credit. It's just amazing to me how the course of someone's life can change due to a series circumstances. You hear stories about kids who come from good homes who go on to make incredibly poor decisions and ruin their lives. I'm just thankful that my kids have been able to suffer some difficult circumstances without turning on me. Of course, I'm not out of the woods yet...

Anonymous said...

Ron's right, Nick! You have to give yourself credit! I'm sorry we missed out on so many important "growing up" moments in their lives, as well as you & your brother's. I hope I can start making up for some of that now.
XOXOXO

Nick said...

The kids and I have certainly been very happy to have you back!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Nick, that means a lot! I'm glad to be back in your lives, as well!
xoxoxo

Digital Commune said...

I love this one Nick. It gives me hope that I can raise Maddy through tough times without completely screwing her up. You really do have great kids and I'm happy to have been around for multiple parts of their journeys.
kimberly

Nick said...

Thanks, Berly! You're doing a great job with Maddy and I'm glad to be a small source of encouragement!