Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Freedom

I just got up from my desk at work to use the restroom and felt a sudden surge of adrenaline.

"I'm free! I can walk anywhere I want to right now! I can walk to the restroom, I can walk out of the building, I can spend the rest of the afternoon walking up and down the stairs!"

It momentarily reminded me of being in school and having to raise my hand to ask permission to use the restroom. Or to get a drink. Or to get sick and head to the nurse's office. Not much freedom there, where you can't even fulfill your body's natural requirements without someone monitoring your every movement.

It then occurred to me that with freedom comes responsibility. I can run laps around my office all day if I choose, but I will probably lose my job (not to mention, my lunch and my credibility). It also occurred to me that my elementary school lack of freedom also required responsibility, namely being responsible enough to not lose control of my bladder during class (and, subsequently, causing my classmates to lose their lunches and me to lose more credibility).

So, what's the point of all this? I'm not sure except that maybe responsibility is overrated.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree.....it IS overrated!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

don't worry. as for the bladder control aspect of responsibility, we'll probably be able to give that up eventually...