Thursday, September 27, 2007

Counsel

A good friend from work finally went out to lunch with us the other day. He had been out of the office because his wife was diagnosed with kidney cancer. Sleep was hard to come by, he told us, just as positivity was hard to hold on to. I told him that times like these enabled us to be more compassionate towards others who may be suffering unbeknownst to us. He agreed as we got up from the table. On the way home that day, I delivered a number of invectives against my fellow motorists.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way, Nick.

Anonymous said...

Reading the beginning, I felt my brow furrow, and felt sadness for your friend and his wife. Thinking, oh no, not another person that has to fight the big fight. But the last line made me smile. Why? Because I am, and have always tried to be, a positive thinking person..and yet, I still fall victim to words that spew from my mouth or the voices in my head that, when i'm in traffic, in a line at the grocery store, waiting for my order at the mcdonalds drive up, etc, etc, can put me on "tilt"...so in the end, i guess we are all human.