Wednesday, October 05, 2005

What Provoked My Interest Today, October 4, 2005

These are some of the things I thought about today, from the moment I woke up until the moment I laid my pretty little head to sleep:


It really is too bad that Meredith Hoenes has to be stuck bantering with that idiot Brett Anthony.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fiona Apple has a new album coming out soon. I always liked her smoky voice and piano accompaniment, but she had fallen of the face of the Earth after her second album. I'm looking forward to checking out the new material.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My boss's mom had a stroke last night. He says she's recovering quickly. What I find most interesting is the constant optimism and good spirits of my boss. He came in to work at lunch time and started making fun of the Hans & Frans sound-alike that was jabbering on the speaker phone during a conference call. He never misses a beat.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My co-worker likes to eat yogurt first thing in the morning. He likes to take hundreds of little scrapes at the bottom of the cup when he's nearly done, extracting every last molecule of yogurt. I like to pull my teeth out one by one, sans anesthesia. Well, not really, but the effect is the same.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sooooo glad my brother and his family came into town. It was fantastic hanging out with them, especially my niece. She's only nine months old, but I think she's gonna grow up fast. I've seen her three times and she's changed so much each time. I can't wait to get back out to Colorado and see them again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm becoming less and less interested in claiming to be even a slight Republican. Not that I'm thinking of switching allegiances and looking to become a Democrat. I'm personally sick of all the contentiousness and sniping between the two parties. I can't affiliate myself with one or the other without provoking some sort or argument in my head, from my friends, or from what I read. I like to keep up on the opinions generated by both sides, but I've become more and more sickened by the arrogance and imperialism of the Republicans and the subversion and dissent of the Democrats. I'm tired of every single issue being a black-and-white, split down the middle tug-of-war. Is there anyone out there that doesn't follow one of two party lines like a lemming follows his buddy over a cliff? You've got to think so, but there doesn't seem to be anyone to represent a balanced view in our current political system. (If there is, please let me know.) Is George W. Bush the best president we've ever had? Of course not. Has he done some good things? Of course. Has he done some questionable things? I believe so. In the big picture, how is that any different than Clinton before him? Clinton accomplished many good things and screwed just as many things up. What happened to the days when once the president was elected, the public stood behind him? Not blindly following the president but also not wasting so much time and energy bitching and complaining and sabotaging. I've always believed that balance is a major theme in life and I'm not going to support either party until some sort of balance within one of them is restored.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kansas City is getting an Arena Football team. The average ticket price is $20. No freaking way would I pay $20 to see an Arena Football game.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to the New York Times, airlines may start allowing the use of cellular phones while in flight in the near future. This deserves a column of its own. Stay tuned...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder how much difference there would be between Vladimir Guerrero and Barry Bonds if Vladi didn't swing at everything within his current zip code? He pounded a ball that was high and away in the 6th inning of tonight's game for a single to right. What happens if he lets that ball go and pounds a ball in the strike zone? I realize that he has reached base at a .390 clip over the course of his career, but he's only slugged over .600 twice. Wouldn't a slight reduction in batting average (but a possible increase in walks, keeping his on-base percentage nearly the same) be worth the added power?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm tired of the "Playoff Face" of every pitcher courtesy of FOX.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why is it easier to drink cold water than lukewarm water?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you ever wonder what the media would talk about if certain things didn't happen? What would they fill their airtime with right now if Katrina and Rita had fizzled out in the Gulf of Mexico? Or if two Supreme Court seats hadn't opened up almost simultaneously? Would they just add a couple more murder/robbery stories? Or just wait around for Michael Jackson to "allegedly" molest some more kids? (UPDATE: Lindsay Lohan smashed up her car after being followed by paparazzi and Nick & Jessica are reportedly new residents of Splitsville. I now have my answer.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The new Charles Schwab commercials are a little disconcerting. The new animation style they employ is very lifelike and (for some reason) very disturbing. Words don't do them justice. I'm sure they'll play these commercials hundreds of times during the playoffs. And I'll gradually be desensitized to the new Matrix being created by the evil computer hench-bots at Schwab.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the dark side of being an independent. Good stuff, Nick.

Nick said...

"Welcome to the dark side of being an independent."

Can you be registered as "independent" and still vote in primaries? If you can, sign me up. It doesn't seem likely, though.

"everyone thinks his own ideas are independent, balanced, and reasonable. of course, i'm one of the few who is right in thinking this. :)"

Good point. On the first one. The second one, though.... ;)

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't see or hear many folks pitching their tents in the middle, grabbing ideas from both sides. McCain sort of qualifies there, I guess. Maybe I should just start my own political party...

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, you do have to be registered one way or the other for primary voting, but that's just one down side of being on the dark side. ;)
Tell me more about your new party. You've peaked my interest.

Nick said...

I must not be tuning in to/reading the same folks, because the vast majority I've been exposed to make no bones about being on one side or the other. Certainly, I've heard the occasional comment that looks at both views, but I find it rare.

I'm starting to get the juices flowing on my pseudo-party. I'll have a piece up within the week, I suppose, outlining where the most fair, balanced and correct views come from: me. ;)